Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Letter to My Soldier"

Hello all.

I began writing a song 6 years ago but never finished it. Recently, I played the song (what I had written) to a neighbor of mine whose husband is overseas in the military. She and her daughter were so moved by the song that it inspired me to complete and record it. “Letter to My Soldier” is a song that is written from the viewpoint of a military spouse or loved one. It reflects the longing for a loved one who has been separated by obligations due to military service and the desire for them to come home safely.

The song is about the love, patience, strength and understanding the military spouse has and the desire for the return of the soldier. In the process of writing the rest of the song, I heard a wonderful chorus of voices in the background. I thought it would be nice to have a chorus of young voice rather then just me laying down multiple tracks to capture the sound. I asked my daughter if some of her classmates in her chorus class at school would like to be part of this project.

6 very wonderful students volunteered to sing and 2 more from VCU (a local university). To top off the recording I wanted a nice piece of artwork for the cover of the single CD. A local artist, Lana Gentry, volunteered to draw the cover. She did an incredible job. I asked John Leedes, Wayne O’Bryan and Rod Hyner (my husband) to play on the CD. They have volunteered numerous hours recording, practicing and playing for the TV show.

This morning we played the song live on the Virginia Morning Show. It was a terrific experience. Although the CD is done the CD packaging has not been completed just yet. I am hoping to have the CD packaged and copies made by mid March. If you know of anyone in the military or a military family that would like a copy, please let me know and I will send you some CD’s. I’ve attached the completed song to this email along with the artwork for the front cover.

Also, here is the link to see us perform it live on the VA Morning Show.http://www.wtvr.com/Global/category.asp?C=86435&nav=menu79_5_3 I hope you enjoy the song and if you are a military spouse or have someone in the military that you care about, I hope this song brings you warmth and that you will be able to relate to it. Love, Elana Lisa

No comments: